A host of Hamilton-area bands are up for Juno awards this year and hoping to bring home some hardware when the show hits town in March.
Indie-rock darlings Arkells lead the pack with nominations for group of the year and rock album of the year on the back of the band’s newest album, High Noon.
The nominee list was announced Tuesday at a press conference at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto. Here’s a look at who else from Hamilton is up for a Juno award this year:
- Steve Strongman: Blues album of the year
- Caribou: Electronic album of the year
- Blackie and the Rodeo Kings: Roots and traditional group of the year
- Elliott Brood: Roots and traditional group of the year
- Daniel Lanois: Instrumental album of the year
- Diana Panton: Jazz vocal album of the year
Expat Hamiltonian Jeremy Fisher (now based in Ottawa) is also up for adult alternative album of the year.
Arkells were also announced as performers for the Juno award show, which is being held on Sunday, March 15 at FirstOntario Centre.